Nephrectomy is the medical term for kidney removal. This surgical procedure is done in the hospital. Hospital stay is 3-7 days.
During your time in the hospital
- You will experience incisional discomfort and possibly muscle soreness. Your pain will always be controlled.
- You will have a catheter in place during part of your hospital stay.
- You will be expected to be up and walking as soon as possible.
- Your diet will be gradually increased.
After the hospital
- You will be discharged with pain medications
- You should walk as much as possible. You can walk up and down stairs and eat and drink anything you like.
- You will need to limit heavy lifting (5-10lbs) and vigorous activity for 8 weeks.
- You may shower or bathe.
- Driving should only be initiated when you have good energy and reaction time and when you are not requiring pain medications.
- The office will call to arrange a visit in 3-4 weeks.
Educational material on kidney removal surgery