GreenLight laser therapy is used to remove an overgrowth of tissue from your prostate gland. It is performed with a small fiber that is inserted into the urethra through a cystoscope. The fiber delivers high powered laser energy which quickly heats up the prostate tissue, causing the tissue to vaporize. This process is continued until all of the enlarged prostate tissue has been removed. The result is a wide open channel for urine flow to pass through.
This procedure is performed at the hospital, typically no overnight stay is needed.
After the hospital:
- You will go home with a catheter in place for a few days based on your surgeon’s recommendation.
- Avoid strenuous activity and heavy lifting (greater than 10 pounds) for 2 weeks.
- After a Green Light Laser Vaporization it is common to have irritative urinary symptoms (frequency, urgency, dysuria ) for a few weeks, sometimes lasting for up to 3 months.
- Small amounts of blood in urine can occur, if you experience blood in your urine increase fluid intake and keep off your feet until your urine clears.
- If you are unable to urinate, sit in a warm tub, this may help you start your stream. If you are unable to urinate or have heavy bleeding with clots call the office.
- The office will contact you to schedule an appointment to have your catheter removed and a follow-up for 1 month.
Educational material about GreenLight Laser Therapy